Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tropical Sunrise Oatmeal

     
      This oatmeal reminds me of a Hawaiian smoothie...but hearty, protein-rich, and full of fiber. I made this  for my boyfriend who prefers his meals prepared simple and was not happy with me when I announced that our breakfast had been spruced up with ingredients other than brown sugar and cinnamon. Lucky for me, we both loved it! The bananas become soft and caramelized from the brown sugar and the oats absorb the flavors of the orange juice and coconut. So easy and quick, with all the nutrients to get your day started off right. Seriously, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. 


Start by mixing up all your ingredients: oats, water, coconut, oj, brown sugar and banana into a microwave-bowl.



Then all you gotta do is pop it in the microwave for 5 minutes!
Beware: if you use a mug like I did you have to watch it like a hawk... Or else you'll have a mess to clean up like I did. Doh!


Mess or no mess, this oatmeal is good. And you should try it!


makes 1 serving
Ingredients:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup water
1/2 banana, sliced
1 tbsp shredded coconut flakes
1 tbsp brown sugar + a bit more to sprinkle on top
dash of oj
about 1 tbsp chopped nuts for garnish (and deliciousness)

Procedure:
1. Mix all ingredients besides the nuts into a microwave safe bowl or mug. 
2. Microwave for 4-6 minutes until the oats are puffed up and soft. Careful! The dish will be hot! Definitely worth grabbing an oven mitt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment