Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pistachio Cranberry & Pistachio Orange Biscotti


Alright folks, I will be the first to say that I am not normally a fan of biscotti. However, I am always trying to change my mind about certain foods or recipes that I don't like by making a kick-butt version myself. You know, one that suits my picky little taste buds. This is one of those cases that flipped my perspective on biscotti so violently that now, two weeks after making these cookies, I am still raving about them to my roommates. Really. Ask them yourself. 

I somewhat adapted this recipe from allrecipes and despite my utter lack of experience in making biscotti, they came out beautifully. I decided to make two kinds: Cranberry-Pistachio and Orange-Pistachio. Both kinds rock, so if you have a preference of flavor go with it! Although I will say I wasn't expecting much from the Cranberry-Pistachio myself, but sure enough I easily could have scarfed down five. My mother even sent me an urgent text message about their deliciousness the next day. Thanks Mama. 

So anyway, I'll quit my boasting and share the method to my madness.

Mix up all your ingredients (sans the orange zest and cranberries), just like you would any other cookie dough, and shape it into a log.
Let said log sit in the fridge to harden up, then cut the log in half and (here comes the fun part!) knead in the orange zest to one of the halves and the cranberries into the other. Don't be afraid to get your hands messy! (But if the dough starts getting sticky, just get your fingers a little wet and they will stick-no-more)
Next, form your two doughs into logs about 2 inches wide and smooth them out a little with your fingers and water. Make sure you use parchment paper! (The bottom loaf is orange and the top is cranberry)

Bake at 300 for 35-40 minutes until light brown.
Sniff the cookies (and start getting excited) then slice them into around 3/4 inch slices and bake at 275 for another 10 minutes until they are dry and crispy-looking. 
You will not be sorry you made these. Nor will anyone else who tries them. 
makes 1 and a half dozen cookies


Ingredients
1/4 cup light olive oil
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 tbsp orange zest
1 1/2 cups pistachio nuts


Procedure
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Mix together oil and sugar, then incorporate the vanilla extract, almond extract and eggs. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Gradually, combine the dry mixture into the wet mixture. 
3. Shape the dough into a log and let it sit in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to firm. Cut the log in two then mix by hand the orange zest into one loaf and the dried cranberries into the other. Then shape these two separate doughs into 2 inch wide logs and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake the logs for 35 minutes until lightly browned. Take out and let cool for a few minutes (about 10) until cool enough to handle. 
5. Slice the logs into about 3/4 inch wide slices then place each cookie flat back onto the parchment paper. Bake at 275 degrees F for another 10 minutes until the cookies are dry, crispy, and delectable. 


No comments:

Post a Comment