Sunday, July 29, 2012

Stir Fry Eggs with Onion

The camp I work at this summer is unique in that it hires many people from outside of the country. This particular weekend I've been lucky enough to have some of the international staff stay at my house for their time off. We've got Tony from Mexico, Michael from England, and Yang from China residing all on the same dog-hair-ridden couch. Yang, as a token of appreciation for the free housing, decided to cook some of his favorite dishes from home to share with us. Of course in China most people eat meat, so the first dish Yang decided to make was Chicken Wings. Lucky for me, he was kind enough to make some additional vegetarian egg dishes that I could eat too!
Here's my favorite of the two that he translated the best he could as "Stir Fry Eggs with Onion".
This dish was so great because it didn't taste like eggs. It tasted like China. Or at least what I would want China to taste like. Soy saucey, gingery, garlicy, and of course, oniony.

Here are Yang's instructions for making this dish.
1. Heat vegetable oil in a wok.
2. Add in chopped garlic, onion, ginger and green onions. Cook for a few minutes.
3. Add in the eggs and cook until about 80% done.
4. Add more oil, ginger and garlic.
5. Cook another minute until done. Add soy sauce and salt.

Fun fact: Apparently the term "wok" means nothing in Mandarin. We silly Americans basically just attached a "Chinese-sounding-word" to a fancy, deep-rimmed pot.

This is a great recipe. I've never eaten a dish that transformed the flavor of an egg so much. I highly recommend giving it a go.

Make sure to thank Yang with your thoughts for his delicious and authentic cuisine.

No comments:

Post a Comment