Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Successful Sick Day

I've decided today that the only way I can reasonably expect myself to reach my 50 blog post goal this year is by being more flexible with what goes into each post. Even though this is not a recipe per say, I wanted to share this meal with the world as it was just that fantastic. What was the occasion you ask? A gnarly summer cold that got me free from the Fantasy themed Friday Funday at camp. As excited as I was to take part in the festivities (that was sarcasm, if you weren't sure) I had a great day finishing my book (Room by Emma Dougherty, I highly recommend it!), napping, and walking to Whole Foods to sit out in the sun while I eating this uber healthy lunch. 
From their salad bar and hot foods bar I got a little slice of Sesame Tofu with an incredible thick and spicy sauce that I tried my hardest to spread out over some of the salad. The salad itself got a little crazy, as I added basically everything I could see that sounded either delicious or to-healthy-to-skip. Healthy greens mix, spring salad mix, sliced carrot, broccoli, quinoa with cranberries and chives, shredded zucchini, beets, jicama, soy nuts, teeny tiny cubed squash bits, red cabbage, the best croutons I've ever eaten, and most likely some other goodies I can't think of. Plus blue cheese dressing! On the side of course. 
I also got a Naked juice which tasted delicious, but I realized after purchasing that it is really just juice with minimal added health benefits. All the fancy stuff they put in the drink is listed in milligrams on the back. Sure 1200 mg of spirulina might seem like a lot... but when converted to 1.2 grams (which is slightly heavier than a paper clip) in the whole bottle, the "boost" seems less significant. Still tasty and refreshing though. 
For dessert I got myself a Chocolate Coconut Chew Larabar. I've been on a real Larabar kick recently. I eat almost one a day at camp for a snack, but am stuck with the 3 flavors that come in the Costco pack: Peanut Butter Cookie, Cashew Cookie, and Blueberry Muffin. Blueberry Muffin, if you were curious, kicks the other two flavors in the butt. I'd say Blueberry Muffin is about on par with the Chocolate Coconut Chew bar. I can't help but love anything chocolate flavored though. Next on my Larabar list to try are Banana Bread, Orange Float, and Coconut Cream Pie. Yum!

I like to think I made the perfect choice for a healthy lunch to strengthen my immune system and feel better after a tough week at camp. 

Today I will leave you with a picture of my favorite animal in the whole world. I only get to see him on the lovely occasion that I drive back into Fremont to stay at my parent's house. Meet Bug Henry Rufus De Stigter, who has been snazzified by the groomer with his mohawk haircut. My mom says next time she takes him back she'll get the mohawk dyed blue. Does she know how to make her daughter happy or what? 

 
Look at his little tail a'wagging!
He's such a handsome guy. :)


What do you like to do on your sick days to feel better? 

No comments:

Post a Comment